Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Workday #2

I've been on sabbatical for two working days now...

Haven't really accomplished anything much except played a bit of WoW and got a few simple errands out of the way.

Funnily enough, even yesterday - on my very first weekday day off - I already felt a bit indulgent, lazy, and useless. I couldn't immediately understand why, but after a bit more pondering today, I think it's like this:

This is the first time ever that I've been completely voluntarily out of work, and not even looking for work. Previous stints of unemployment, vacations, and weekends were different. They were breaks that were taken within a framework where there was work being done. It didn't feel indulgent to take a day off and play WoW after spending 50 hours at the office. But it does feel a bit indulgent when I'm not doing anything anyway.

I'll be heading off on my travels in two days. But once I'm back in Melbourne fulltime, there is no way I'll be able to put up with such a productivity void. Probably not even for a week. This has been a good test, and I've already passed it. - I now know that I don't want to just sit at home playing WoW all day and being useless. In all honesty, I thought it would take weeks to get to this point, but I guess I'm glad that even a day or two was too much. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment